Avodart is 5-alpha-reductase type 1 and 2 inhibitor which contains an active ingredient Dutasteride. This is antiandrogenic product of the new generation which provides more effective action than old finasteride, and it faster arrest the symptoms of prostatitis.
The mechanism of the action of Avodart consists in blocking of the receptors which take part in synthesis of the active androgen – dihydrotestosterone. During the increased level of this hormone, there is a benign prostatic hyperplasia, so that the outflow of urine becomes worse and urinary tract is inflamed.
Blocking 5-alpha-reductase, there is a natural reduction of dihydrotestosterone level, so that the inflammation of the prostate is reduced, and a normal outflow of urine is restored.
Avodart helps to lower the level of dihydrotestosterone by about 80-90% within 2 weeks, and completely removes the symptoms of prostatitis. This drug can be used during the treatment of the benign prostatic hyperplasia as well as for the prevention of this disease.
Indications for the use
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia
- Urinary retention
In what dose should be Avodart used?
- The optimal daily dose of Avodart for the treatment of the benign prostatic hyperplasia is 500 mg
- Avodart 500 mg should be used every day, at the same time. Early morning, before breakfast will better do
- The therapeutic effect is noticed in 2 weeks of using Avodart 500 mg but the treatment is continued up to the complete improvement of the disease symptoms
After the improvement of the prostatitis symptoms, Avodart should be used within 6-9 months to reduce the risk of the relapse of the benign prostatic hyperplasia. A prolonged use of Avodart 500 mg will not cause a medical addiction, and the body will not develop a tolerance to the action of Dutasteride.
Avodart is absolutely safe for men and does not have contraindications for the use
- Dutasteride is not recommended during allergy to the active ingredients which are added to this drug, and also men under 18 years old
- Patients who have severe/chronic diseases of liver should carefully take Avodart
- Women are strictly contraindicated to take Avodart because it can cause hormone disorders in the female body
- As Avodart selectively acts to the 5-alpha-reductase receptors, it does not affect metabolism of most medical products. But if you regularly take any medicines, ask your doctor whether it interact with Dutasteride.
Probable side effects
During the changed level of dihydrotestosterone, men can have some side effects: breast enlargement, pain and itching of the breast, temporary worsening of erectile dysfunction and decreased libido.
As a rule, the side effects occur in the first 2-3 months of the treatment, and then they completely pass during the restored hormone level in the male body. The toxic or nonreversible side effect of Avodart has not been detected during the medical studies, and therefore this drug has a high pharmacological safety. And it works well for men over 18 years old.